Thursday, July 31, 2014

Day 80 – Moving on to India!

I’m going to look at India for my next (and maybe last?) country of this month’s topic. I’ve always been fascinated by the bits and pieces I know of Indian culture, and, now that I’ve moved to Silicon Valley, I’m surrounded by Indians on a daily basis, since many of them move here for work. I decided it’s a good time to learn more about their country. Also, since Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love, visited India on her self-improvement mission, it seems somehow appropriate that I learn about the country on my own little budget self-improvement project.

And there’s a LOT to learn. India, home to over 1.2 billion people, is the second most populous country in the world, and the most populous democracy. It has long been a region of historic trade routes, and four world religions (Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism) originated here. India is one of the fastest growing major economies, but the country still struggles with poverty and corruption. It has the third largest standing army in the world (behind China and the United States).India is also home to diverse wildlife and habitats. And, let’s not forget- Indian cuisine is delicious! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India)

How’s that for an overview? I’m excited to spend some time delving more into this intriguing country! Stay tuned this week for more!



Xoxo,

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment