Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 68 – Religion in Italy

I started reading about Italian culture... a lot of things make up the culture of a country: language, religion, art, food, business, sports, and more. Today I briefly looked at religion.

Most people know a little bit about religion in Italy- the majority of Italians are Roman Catholic. This is no surprise, since Vatican City is located within Rome and is where the Pope lives. Interestingly, Vatican City is a walled enclave within Rome and is actually an independent city-state- the smallest independent city-state in the world by both area (110 acres) and population (842). I never realized that about the Vatican before. I’m not sure how this fact escaped me, but I think it’s actually quite fascinating. St. Peter’s Basilica and the Sistine Chapel are located in Vatican City, as well! The Roman Catholic Church is separated from the state but still plays a role in politics (no surprise there).

A small percentage of Italy’s population follows religions other than Roman Catholicism. Italy’s second largest religion is Islam, due to the Muslim immigrant population. Italy also has small representation from other Christian denominations and Jews (although many Jews emigrated from Italy following World War II).

So there you have it- religion in Italy. No big surprises, I guess, although for me it was fun to discover that Vatican City is an actual independent city-state! Mr. Coffeebeans already knew this... did you?

Vatican City


Xoxo,
Diana



No comments:

Post a Comment