Saturday, June 14, 2014

Day 37 – Not for the Faint of Heart!

Switching gears from water wonders to mountains today- I’ll be talking about Mount Everest. Another one of the seven natural wonders, this mountain is the highest mountain on earth- with a peak at 29,029 feet. (It’s not the tallest mountain from base to peak, but it is the highest spot on earth). Mount Everest is located in the Himalayas between Nepal and Tibet.

Mount Everest is probably most famous for the difficult trek to its summit. The climb is no joke, and over 200 people have died attempting it. The climb to base camp itself takes up to 10 days, and climbers who want to summit Mount Everest spend six weeks there just to acclimate to the thin air. The climb is expensive, too- climbing permits alone are $25,000, not to mention numerous other expenses.

Mount Everest is one natural wonder I’m not sure I would actually want to go see. I have no interest in climbing it (not to mention it would take a lot of training to get me to the point where that was a possibility, if I even could get to that point!). You can see the Mountain by a guided air tour, which is obviously a much more accessible option. From the pictures below, you can see that the mountain is beautiful. However, with so many beautiful mountains in the world, is Everest worth the cost and hassle to see this particular mountain? (Even if it’s the “easy” way, by air). I’m not sure. I could also skydive Mount Everest for the low price of $25,000… tempting! (http://www.everest-skydive.com/everest-skydive/).

Whether or not I ever make it to Everest, looking pictures of this majestic peak is a treat in itself!





Xoxo,

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment