Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Day 26 – Know Your Craft

I’m spending one more day discussing Ansel Adams because I felt I couldn’t move on until I mentioned his contributions to the technical side of photography. Adams did more than just point a camera at a scene and shoot. Although that’s probably an overly obvious observation, I was impressed by Adams dedication to developing his technical skill in photography.  

For example, he used glossy paper to intensify tonal values. He used different apertures and exposures to capture sharp details and have a long range of focus. He developed the “Zone System” with the help of his friend Fred Archer. This was to determine the optimal exposure and development time for a photograph. I don’t pretend to really understand any of what any of that means. (Although, Adams taught thousands of students in photography workshops over the course of many years. So if he was still around I’m sure he would have been happy to teach me!) Adams also produced ten volumes of technical manuals on photography, and was a consultant to a few companies which sell camera equipment. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansel_Adamshttp://www.anseladams.com/ansel-adams-information/ansel-adams-biography/).

My point is that he worked very hard at photography, his craft. I don’t even know that much about photography, but when I look at his work I can tell it’s special. And I really enjoy seeing his photographs. It’s a joy to see art that’s well done, whether it’s a painting, a photograph, or an ancient Egyptian carving. Adams photography is well done. I hope that I remember, in whatever endeavors I take on, to do my best and ensure that whoever sees my work knows I poured true effort into my task!

And because I can’t resist… here’s one more Ansel Adams photograph:



Xoxo,

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment