Friday, May 16, 2014

Day 8 – Fauvism and *Another* Lawyer Turned Artist. Le Sigh

Today I spent time reading about Fauvism (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/fauv/hd_fauv.htm). The Fauvism movement was known for using brilliant colors and spontaneous brushwork. This intense, emotional style eventually gave way to Cubism, but before it did several artists experimented with the Fauve style.

Henri Matisse was a name listed among the Fauvist artists which I recognized (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/mati/hd_mati.htm). Matisse had a career that lasted over six decades! And… he was originally trained as a lawyer. (Seriously- I think I might need to find a second career that lets me be creative. It seems a lot of former lawyers have!) Matisse was a prolific artist who experimented with a variety of painting styles, including Impressionism, Neo-Impressionism, and, briefly, Fauvism. He also dabbled in sculpture and even book illustration! One of his Fauve paintings was The Young Sailor (pictured below). You can see the intense colors and spontaneous brushwork. I’m not so much a fan of the brushwork but I do like the colors. I’m not sure what else to say about this style- I feel like the closer and closer I get to modern times the less I like the artwork.

Next up will be Cubism, which was created by Picasso. I’m already pretty sure I won’t be a fan, but I’ll save a more in depth discussion for tomorrow. In the meantime, here’s that Matisse painting. Happy Weekend, everyone!



Xoxo,
Diana


No comments:

Post a Comment