Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Day 6 – Post-Impressionists: Responding to the Impressionists!

Thankfully, I was able to get more sleep last night. It cooled down to the mid-50s here in Chicago, and the AC repair guy came, so Baby was a much happier sleeper and made it for a five and a half hour stretch. She’s starting to pretty consistently sleep somewhere between five and six hours at night, which is absolutely glorious after a few weeks of only an hour at a time. I always give people the side-eye when they tell me the newborn phase is the best. I mean, sure they are so adorably tiny and sweet, but they NEVER sleep a good stretch. At least not at night. At least mine didn’t. Maybe you had a unicorn baby.

By the way, the problem with the AC was that the guy who replaced our furnace in January (after the -30 Polar Vortex shenanigans caused the old furnace to give up the ghost) never reconnected some vital wires to the AC unit. The repair guy yesterday rolled his eyes and said the furnace repairman probably did this on purpose so he’d automatically have an easy service call in the queue when the weather warmed up. I didn’t bother telling Mr. AC that Mr. Furnace was from the same repair company as him.

But I digress. With a fresh brain this morning, and a fresh cup of green tea (hey, I’m out of coffee creamer and didn’t feel like black coffee), I sat down to figure out what came after the impressionists. Google informed me it was… drum roll please… the Post-Impressionists! I returned to the Metropolitan Museum’s website to learn more (check out their information on Post-Impressionism here: http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/poim/hd_poim.htm). I’m really liking the Metropolitan’s educational content. They have easily digestible, well-organized chunks of information that I can read over coffee (or tea!) in the morning without feeling overwhelmed. There are other schools of painting that also followed the Impressionists, but Post-Impressionism is what I landed on this morning.

I learned that the Post-Impressionists were responding to the Impressionists by expressing emotions rather than just optical impressions. Their art had themes of deeper symbolism and abstract tendencies. Two names I recognized from the list of Post-Impressionists were Paul Cézanne and Vincent Van Gogh. Although I’ve never been much of an art buff, I always thought I liked Van Gogh’s work. I actually had the chance to visit the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam a few years ago, but the day I went it was unbearably crowded and very difficult to really enjoy the artwork. Reading through the Metropolitan’s page on Van Gogh, however (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/gogh/hd_gogh.htm), I realized that there are a few of his landscapes that I like, such as Wheat Field with Cypresses and The Starry Night, (pictured below), but other than that I don’t really like his style. For example, I really do not like Olive Trees or A Corridor in the Asylum (also pictured below). Perhaps it’s because I don’t like the abstract aspect of his paintings as much. I always had it in my head that I preferred abstract works, but comparing Van Gogh’s work to the Impressionist works I’ve been looking at over the last few days, I have to say I prefer the less abstract style of the Impressionist paintings. I think I need to look at a few more Post-Impressionist artists to decide, though, so that I get a better feel for the differences between the two styles. That will be my goal for the next few days!

Paintings I liked:
Wheat Field with Cypresses

The Starry Night

Paintings I didn't like:
Olive Trees

A Corridor in the Asylum






Xoxo, Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment