Saturday, May 24, 2014

Day 16 – Art in the Everyday

Today I’m going to talk about something that struck me as I was reading about the tomb of Hatnofer- one of the tombs I mentioned in my blog yesterday. (http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/htnf/hd_htnf.htm) It really stood out to me that the Egyptians seemed to decorate so many “everyday” objects. For example, Hatnofer’s tomb contained several mirrors. I’ve posted a picture of one of these, below. The handle of the mirror shows a woman’s face with cow’s ears and a curled wig (which symbolized Hathor, the goddess of love and beauty – the Egyptians’ entire lives seemed to have pretty much revolved around their religious beliefs). Although a mirror is a basic utility item, this mirror contains this artistic depiction of a goddess, an important part of Hatnofer’s life.

I’m not sure if it was just that the “special” items which made it into the Egyptians’ tombs, while the actual common, everyday items weren’t decorated; or, if all utility items in Ancient Egypt were decorated symbolically. But, it made me think about how sometimes art is all around us. For example, my favorite coffee mug is decorated with a strawberry pattern. I love how it looks and I bought the mug because of the pattern. I certainly did not need any more mugs, and the mug would certainly function just as well if it were plain white. However, seeing those strawberries in the morning as I pour my coffee just makes me happy for some reason.

Today, these ponderings just left me full of random questions. What purpose does art serve in our everyday life? To make us happy, like the strawberries on my mug? To symbolize important aspects of our lives, like the goddesses on Hatnofer’s head? Do these things even really “count” as art? Or, maybe, a better question is, what should the requirements be for something to count as art? Is happiness/symbolism enough, or do we need something else- some kind of official, technical merit, if you will? I think, maybe, that is something every person decides for himself or herself.



Xoxo,

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment