Friday, August 22, 2014

Day ??? - The Changing Face of the Coffee Beans Project

It's been a few weeks since I've posted a blog. When I posted my last blog, I was feeling a bit frustrated and overwhelmed. I was having trouble keeping up with writing a daily entry for my coffeebeandreams project, even though I thought the basic premise of the project was working out well.

It's easy enough in the morning to find 5-10 minutes to read about a subject that interests me. It's much harder to find time to actually write about what I read. Add to this the fact that I'm job searching and we've moved several times in the last few months, from temporary housing location to temporary housing location- all with a young infant, and things have been a little bit dicey.

Despite learning something new every day for the coffeebeans project, I was feeling a little lost. What would I do for work? Was my few minutes a day of quiet reflection and learning really making a difference? Maybe I should switch to a weekly blog post?

Somehow, out of all of this confusion in my head, I decided that it was the right time to work on writing a novel. I've been slowly outlining and working on a novel since about February. And by slowly, I mean SLOWLY. (But, give me a break- the newborn days were t-o-u-g-h!) I've always dreamed of being a writer. But, of course, that's not a real job, so I went to law school.

Uh huh.

Once I realized that law is not exactly the flexible, unlimited career it's touted as being, I toyed around with the idea of going back to my first love: writing. The great thing about writing is, you can do it while doing other things, like searching for a real job or chasing an increasingly mobile infant around the house. As a bit of a type A, however, I can tend to be all or nothing about things, so when I started writing again in earnest earlier this month, I went a little crazy. I'm now up to 78,000 words. I've probably got less than 10,000 words left to go. I've been spending every spare moment writing like a madwoman. the first draft will need a lot of work, I'm sure, but... you guys... I'm *this* close to being done with writing an actual novel. No. freaking. way.

So the point of this blog, I guess, is an update that yes, I'm still doing the coffeebeans project every morning, and will have a more detailed update at some point, and also, I'm still writing- just pouring my energy into finishing a book. I can hardly wait to see how it ends! :)


Xoxo,

Diana

No comments:

Post a Comment